The Diversity Committee guides ESA’s efforts to create an environment that embraces diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice and facilitates all students and professionals to flourish. This committee will split from the current Committee on Diversity and Education as a separate entity in August 2021. Terms of office will begin from that date.
The Committee is responsible for the development of programs to enhance recruitment, training, and retention of underrepresented and marginalized groups in the ecological sciences, and to encourage equitable treatment and representation of people of all genders, ages, races, ethnicities, abilities, sexual orientations, and cultural backgrounds. Reporting to the Board, the Diversity Committee engages all ESA sections, chapters, and committees to address diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice within ESA and across the field of ecology.
The Committee’s key functions are to:
- Advise on ESA’s strategic diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice priorities and related
- Educate and engage the ESA membership and the wider community in implementing
ESA’s DEIJ Action Plan.
- Encourage collaborations and/or coordination across ESA staff, sections, chapters, and
committees to elevate the visibility of ESA’s DEIJ initiatives and use of its DEIJ resources.
- Address issues of particular concern to underrepresented and marginalized groups in
ecology, including promoting their participation in all aspects of ESA and the wider
- Develop metrics and assess and track diversity in nominations, meetings, publications,
and membership and leadership of sections, committees, chapters, and the Governing
The committee will consist of a chair and six additional members.
- Carmen Cid, Chair (2021 – 2024)
- Arvind Bhuta (2021 – 2024)
- Jacoby Carter (2021 – 2023)
- Jacquelyn Gill (2021 – 2023)
- Concepcion Rodriguez-Fourquet (2021 – 2024)
- Robert Newman (2021 – 2023)
- Skylar Bayer (2021 – 2024)