2019 Certification is Now CLOSED!
2020 Certification Cycle will open in November, 2019
For more information, visit the Process & Fees, Guidelines and FAQ pages.
Benefits of ESA Professional Certification
Certification through the Ecological Society of America is a way for ecologists, at all levels of education and training, to add a credential to their resume, demonstrate their expertise, and exhibit their skill level to potential employers, clients or colleagues. The goals of the certification program are:
- Establish and validate the credentials for certified ecologists.
- Recognize individuals whose education, training, and experience meet the ESA’s certification standards.
- Attest that certified ecologists have met minimum education and experience requirements for their certification levels; further attest that each certified ecologist acknowledges adherence to the ESA Code of Ethics.
- Foster the incorporation of ecological principles in the decision-making processes for consultancies, environmental and national resource agencies, applied research labs, government agencies and NGOs, foundations, and other organizations requiring the expertise of certified ecologists.
- Provide public access to a directory of professional ecologists for advice and technical guidance on public policy and regulatory issues facing society.
The Case for Professional Certification
The Value of Being a Certified Ecologist Recorded Webinar
Professional certification: increasing ecologists’ effectiveness PDF
Get Started – Checklist
To review certification requirements, click the requirements checklist button. Requirements Checklist