The Education Committee guides and helps to implement ESA’s efforts to promote excellence in ecology education at all levels, support the recruitment and retention of a diverse community of ecologists in a variety of career paths, and facilitate collaborations across the ESA community to amplify education and engagement initiatives. This committee will split from the current Committee on Diversity and Education as a separate entity in August 2021. Terms of office will begin on that date.
The Committee’s key functions are to:
- Advise on ESA’s strategic education and workforce development priorities and related
- Engage the ESA membership and the wider community in development and
implementation of ecology education including the Four-Dimensional Ecology Education
(4DEE) framework and engagement in education activities.
- Encourage collaborations across ESA sections, chapters, and committees to elevate the
visibility and use of ESA’s education initiatives and resources.
The committee will consist of a chair and six additional members.
Subcommittee: ESA’s Four Dimensional Ecology Education (4DEE) framework was formalized and endorsed by the ESA Governing Board in 2018. The purpose of the 4DEE Subcommittee is to facilitate the knowledge, understanding, and use of 4DEE concepts by ESA members and others. (9 members)
- Carmen Cid, Chair (2021 – 2022)
- Luanna Prevost (2021 – 2023)
- Tracy Gartner (2021 – 2022)
- Ajay Sharma (2021 – 2024)
- Brian Robert Shmaefsky (2021 – 2024)
- Alycia Crall (2021 – 2024)
- Tom Langen (2021 – 2024)
4DEE Subcommittee Members (2021)
- Luanna Prevost, Chair, University of South Florida
- George Middendorf, Past Chair, Howard University, Emeritus
- Christopher Beck, Emory University
- Alan Berkowitz, Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies
- Jennifer Doherty, University of Washington
- Ken Klemow, Wilkes University
- Amanda Sorensen, Michigan State University
- Justin St. Juliana, Cornell University
- Vikki Rodgers, Babson College