Career Opportunities at the ESA
Posted: March 2020
Assistant Editor for Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment
Built on over 100 years of history, the Ecological Society of America (ESA) is a professional membership association of ecologists, with more than 9,000 scientists, researchers, decision makers, policymakers, and educators dedicated to the science of ecology. We promote diversity in all areas of activity, including staffing, membership, leadership, committees, public engagement, our annual convention and all other meetings.
The Ecologial Society of America seeks a full-time Assistant Editor to help produce Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, a high-ranking monthly journal focusing on ecological and environmental science. Duties include: copyediting and proofreading scientific manuscripts, managing the online peer-review system, writing copy and occasional short news stories, conducting cover photo searches, designing covers and in-house advertisements, and running the Frontiers Twitter account. A Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in a relevant life science (ecology, environmental science, or conservation biology preferred) is a must, as is 2–3 years’ editorial experience. Design and image editing experience (using Photoshop and InDesign, or similar) a major advantage.
Assists the Editor in Chief and Executive Editor in preparing and publishing 10 issues/year of Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment.
- Administration of peer-review system:
- Administers the ScholarOne online manuscript submission system (including allocating submissions to Editorial Board members, requesting reviewers, chasing overdue reviews and recommendations)
- Responds to author queries regarding the status of their manuscript, assists users with navigating the system, etc.
- Journal production:
- Downloads accepted papers, ensuring that manuscripts are complete
- Copyedits peer-reviewed and non-peer-reviewed manuscripts
- Prepares photos and figures for transmittal to publisher
- Proofreads PDF proofs of articles and adds author and editorial corrections
- Conducts image searches and designs covers, in-house ads, as well as other materials
- Coordinates with the rest of the Frontiers team regarding all sections of the journal
- Writes news stories and other short texts as required
- Other duties:
- Runs the Frontiers Twitter account
- Assists with preparations for and activities at the ESA Annual Meeting
- Performs additional duties as required
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in a relevant life science subject (ecology, environmental science, or conservation preferred)
- Excellent editing skills (at least 2–3 years’ experience)
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- An ability to correct author graphics and improve photos (e.g. cropping, color balance, brightness), along with a flair for designing covers, in-house ads, etc
- Able to handle and prioritize multiple tasks, often under deadline
- Detail-oriented and focused
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive), Photoshop, InDesign, etc.
- Experience with Twitter and WordPress
- Ability to work as part of a small, close-knit, remote team
Competitive salary ($45,000-$55,000, commensurate with experience) and benefits (including 100% employer-paid health insurance; paid vacation and sick leave; 10% employer contribution to retirement plan after first 6 months). Possibility of either working in-house at DC headquarters or remote teleworking, for the right candidate (U.S.-based applicants only).
Email cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references to Dr. Sue Silver with “Assistant Editor Search” in the subject line.
ESA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports an inclusive workplace. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.