Sunday, August 11, 2019, 12:00 PM-5:00 PM
2019 ESA Annual Meeting, Louisville, Kentucky
Resources for Ecology Education – Fair and Share (REEFS) is an annual workshop held during ESA’s Annual Meeting. Since 2008, it has been organized jointly by ESA’s Office of Education and Diversity and the ESA Education Section.
Teaching ideas at all levels of development are welcome. For those who are developing a new activity, this is an opportunity for you to get immediate feedback. For those with tested activities, come share your teaching resource. We are especially looking for ideas that help advance the core concepts and competencies embodied in the 4 Dimensional Ecology Education(4DEE) Framework and Vision and Change in Undergraduate Biology Education. We welcome your participation as education leaders!
The workshop is organized as follows:
- In Part I, the workshop will introduce ESA’s Four Dimensional Ecology Education Framework, endorsed by ESA in November 2018, followed by a discussion on implications for teaching and learning.
- In Part II there will be three round robin sessions in small groups to discuss teaching challenges and strategies on lesson ideas led by peers. Presenters are encouraged to consider how their activities address two or more dimensions of the 4DEE framework. Participants will be invited to suggest further enhancements in relation to 4DEE and ways they might incorporate these activities into their own classrooms.
- In Part III, participants will learn how to publish teaching ideas in EcoEdDigital Library (EcoEdDL) or Teaching Issues and Experiments in Ecology (TIEE).
- In Part IV, participants will select optional activities for individual work time: a) design or enhance learning activities with 4DEE; b) explore or browse EcoEdDL; c) initiate a submission to EcoEdDL to publish a teaching activity; d) learn more about becoming a reviewer for the EcoEdDL. Workshop organizers are available to support participants.
- Learn about what colleagues are doing to engage their undergraduate students using active learning methods.
- Improve undergraduate classroom activities using active learning methods via the exchange of constructive feedback
- Foster a network of support in advancing ecology education.
- Promote the ESA Four-Dimensional Ecology Education Framework
- Encourage digital publishing of teaching resources through ESA’s EcoEdDL and TIEE
- Promote the recommendations of the Vision and Change in Undergraduate Biology Education Call to Action.
If you would like to present a resource, please sign up here: www.esa.org/esa/education-and-diversity/reefs/2019-reefs-sign-up-form/
If you have questions contact Kathy Shea, Education Section Chair, email@example.com, Jennifer Doherty, firstname.lastname@example.org, Education Section Chair-elect or Teresa Mourad, ESA Director Education and Diversity Programs
PLEASE NOTE: This is a pre-conference workshop and all participants are expected to register. Fees are expected to be around $30 (TBC). The ESA Education Section will cover the workshop registration fee for ESA Education Section members who present at REEFS. Workshop fees help ESA cover the cost of facilities. Due to the high convention center costs, lunch is not provided. You are welcome to bring your own lunch.