ESA Excellence in Ecology Scholarships
Applications due by August 31
The Ecological Society of America is pleased to announce the launch of a new scholarship initiative – the ESA Excellence in Ecology (EEE) Scholarship for early – mid career ESA members. This initiative addresses one of the Recommendations from the ESA Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice (DEIJ) Task Force to support and elevate diverse scientists in our community. This effort seeks to remove critical barriers to full participation in the retention and promotion of scholars who have traditionally been excluded or underrepresented in our community to make ESA more inclusive. Black, indigenous, and people of color are especially encouraged to apply.
Starting in 2021, the premier EEE scholarship will be awarded annually to recognize and support four scholars who have traditionally been excluded or underrepresented in our community.
The EEE Scholarship offers funding and support over two years and includes:
- A speaking opportunity at ESA annual meetings or other ESA events and travel support to attend these ESA meetings (up to $2,000)
- Support for research or family/childcare provision ($1,000)
- Opportunity to host web events on research topics of their choice
- Support for one open-access publication in an ESA journal ($2,000 fee)
- Peer support and a cohort experience for Scholars and alumni
- Applicants must be within 20 years of achieving their PhD in any field that will advance ecological science. All basic and applied fields of research are welcome.
- Only ESA members at the time of the application will be eligible
- Applicants who meet program goals and priorities
Criteria for Selection
Scholars will be selected based on the:
- relative merits of their research ideas
- proposals for speaking opportunities
- ideas for web events which they are interested in hosting, and
- ideas for contributions to the peer network
Applications are due by August 31 and decisions are expected to be announced by September 30.
Contact: Teresa Mourad, Director of Education & Diversity Programs