ESA Excellence in Ecology (EEE) Scholarships
Initiated in 2021, the EEE Scholarship will be awarded annually to recognize and support four scholars who have traditionally been excluded or underrepresented in our community.
List of Scholarship AwardeesThe Ecological Society of America is accepting applications for the second cohort of the ESA Excellence in Ecology (EEE) Scholarship for early – mid career ESA members who have achieved a PhD within the last 20 years. This initiative addresses one of the Recommendations from the ESA Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice (DEIJ) Task Force to support and elevate diverse scientists in our community. This effort seeks to remove critical barriers to full participation in the retention and promotion of scholars who have traditionally been excluded or underrepresented in our community to make ESA more inclusive. Black, indigenous, and people of color are especially encouraged to apply.
The EEE Scholarship comes with an award of $5000 and support over two years, including:
- A speaking opportunity at ESA annual meetings or other ESA events and travel support to attend these ESA meetings (up to $2,000)
- Support for research or family/childcare provision ($1,000)
- Opportunity to host web events on research topics of their choice
- Support for one open-access publication in an ESA journal ($2,000 fee)
- Peer support and a cohort experience for Scholars and alumni
- Applicants must have received their PhD within the last 20 years in any field that will advance ecological science. All basic and applied fields of research are welcome.
- Only ESA members at the time of the application will be eligible.
- Applicants who meet program goals and priorities.
Criteria for Selection
Scholars will be selected based on the:
- relative merits of their research ideas and accomplishments, contributions to the discipline and DEIJ
- impact of their research on DEI and underrepresented groups
- merits of past and current community engagement activities
- ideas for web events and contributions to the peer network and DEIJ in ESA
Applications for 2022 EEE Scholarships are now closed. Applications for 2023 will open in Summer 2023.
Contact: Adrienne Sponberg, Director of Society Programs
This form is currently closed for submissions.