USNVC Workshop for Midcareer Managers
Members of the ESA Vegetation Classification Panel conducted a one-day workshop on the US National Vegetation Classification (NVC) on March 20th 2012 at the Denver Federal Center. The workshop was aimed at midcareer federal agency managers and provided an open forum for participants to discuss the NVC’s uses and challenges. Panel members were also able to present case studies demonstrating how the NVC can help a variety of federal agencies meet their business needs.
The thirty-five attendees represented a variety of agencies and groups, including: the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), US Forest Service, Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands (CEMML), National Park Service, US Fish and Wildlife Service, the Colorado Natural Heritage Program, and the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS).
Below are some of the materials presented at the workshop:
- Workshop Agenda
- NVC Factsheet given out to participants
- Presentation: Introduction to the USNVC
- How the USNVC tracks rare plant communities
- Preserving rare plant communities (NPS presentation)
- Case study: Ecological Site Descriptions and the NVC
- The NVC and monitoring, mapping, and habitat modeling: Part I and Part II
Click here to view notes and suggestions that emerged from the workshop.