ESA Operations and COVID-19
ESA is temporarily using a telecommuting model for its daily business operations in the Washington, DC, metro area to be proactive in mitigating the spread of COVID-19. We expect no difference in our business operations, but please email us or call us if needed. ESA is evaluating whether to hold meetings and events on a case-by-case basis and we encourage you to communicate with your ESA staff contact for questions.
ESA continues to explore ways to support our members and everyone in the scientific community during these uncertain times. We are concerned about the impact that the spread of this disease will personally have on members of the ecologic and the greater scientific community. We hope you remain safe and that daily operations return to normal as soon as possible.
ESA is facilitating scientist-to-scientist sharing by collecting offers of assistance and resources in this form to share with those affected on an Ecotone virtual bulletin board. Read more about what you can share.
*Check back frequently to see an updated list of offers*
In response to the mounting pressure for faculty to switch to online teaching within a very short time, we have compiled some resources that have come to our attention. This is not an exhaustive list but is an attempt to help point you in the right direction.
We continue to develop online-only content for ESA members to connect with each other, develop their skills, and discover new approaches to their work. Join a webinar or water cooler chat to stay engaged!
- Thursday, April 9: Harnessing Private Foundation Funding
- Thursday, April 23: Ecology Careers in Focus: Choices in Education
Our Weekly Water Cooler series is constantly in development–if there’s a topic that you’d like to have discussed over your favorite beverage on a Friday afternoon, let us know!
We are closely monitoring the developing COVID-19 situation regarding these events. Please continue to visit this page for updates as to their status and changes to any upcoming events. ESA is fully committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for all event participants.
- Katherine McCarter Graduate Student Policy Award, March 24-25, 2020 POSTPONED
- Workshop: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Socio-Environmental Synthesis Research A SESYNC-ESA Workshop, March 24-27, 2020 POSTPONED
- SEEDS Field Trip, Sevilleta Field Station, April 16-19, 2020 CANCELLED
- Strategies for Success SBI Course, June 9-11, 2020 POSTPONED
These upcoming events are being planned on the presumption that they will be held with no changes to their operating status; should changes occur, they will be added to the above list and updated to reflect those changes.
- Board of Professional Certification Business Meeting, June 1, 2020 (virtual)
- Critical Skills to Scale Up Ecology: An ESA SEEDS and NEON Workshop, June 1-5, 2020
- ESA Annual Meeting, August 2-7, 2020
ESA will be holding the Annual Meeting, August 2-7. Currently, we are monitoring updates from the local and national health officials to decide whether the meeting will be held as planned in Salt Lake City, Utah, or whether we will hold a virtual meeting instead of gathering in person. So, either way, we encourage you to prepare and collaborate with colleagues for the ESA Annual Meeting. This page will be updated regularly with the most current information.
- Creating a Successful Business Plan SBI Course, October 6-8, 2020
- ESA Mid-Atlantic Chapter Annual Meeting, October 16-18, 2020 (postponed from April 3-5)
- Life Discovery Conference, October 22-24, 2020