2021 SEEDS Virtual Leadership Meeting
The SEEDS Leadership meeting is being held virtually for 2021! The SEEDS Leadership Meeting theme is Urban Ecology. The meeting workshops are going to be focused on 21st century science skills where students will learn the impact of our science. This meeting is not intended to teach participants how to collect data, but for them to understand what that data means to the rest of society. 25 undergraduate students have been invited to participate virtually in a series of 8 workshops from April 13 – May 13, 2021.
- Tuesday, April 13th at 4:30PM ET
- Ecology 101: Kathleen Weathers, ESA President.
- Monday, April 19th at 5PM ET
- Science in Society: Fushcia Hoover, SESYNC
- Thursday, April 22nd at 5PM ET
- Career Panel – A diverse group of SEEDS Alum and ESA members talking about their unique career paths.
- Tuesday, April 27th at 4:30PM ET
- Publishing 101: Richard Wallace, Editor in Chief of Frontiers in Ecology.
- Monday, May 3rd at 5PM ET
- Science Communication I: Heidi Swanson Public Information Manager, and Fred Abbott, Ecological Society of America
- Thursday, May 6th at 5PM ET
- Science Communication II: Fred Abbott, Ecological Society of America
- Tuesday, May 11th at 5PM ET
- Science in Politics and Policy: Michael Peñuelas and Sarah Anderson
- Thursday, May 13th at 6PM ET
- Final Celebration: SEEDS Staff
For a look at past leadership meeting topics and summaries, click here.
Leadership Meeting Information
Held annually, the Leadership Meeting is an opportunity for SEEDS student leaders to engage in a dialogue about the connections between science and society. The meeting provides a venue for SEEDS participants to develop 21st century skills and understanding in communications, policy, community outreach and education, rounding out their experience as young scientists.
The Leadership Meeting was an extension of the SEEDS Undergraduate Research Fellowship program and since 2007 grew to include invited SEEDS chapter leaders and other students recognized for their leadership potential. ESA Governing Board members have joined us as guest speakers and since 2008, we have been delighted to have the participation and support of ESA Presidents who have graciously set time in their busy schedules to join the students.