National Field Trips
The Henry L. Gholz SEEDS National Field Trips
The SEEDS program hosts National Field Trips to bring undergraduate students from diverse backgrounds and interest to explore the science of ecology. We sponsor diverse students currently enrolled in undergraduate studies at a US institution to travel to different research stations to engage with scientists and professional with hand on learning experiences and workshops to discuss career development and the future of our science field. Diverse People for a Diverse Science!
Read more about our past SEEDS Field Trips.
SEEDS is going to The W.K. Kellogg Biological Station (KBS) in Michigan!
April 27-30, 2023.
Apply to join the SEEDS program at The W.K. Kellogg Biological Station (KBS), Michigan State University’s largest off-campus education complex and one of North America’s premier inland field stations. Selected undergraduate students will have the opportunity to gain hands-on ecology experience and career development while exploring KBS research with great scientists and mentors who are there to welcome you into our science.
KBS is a premier site for field experimental research in aquatic and terrestrial ecology that takes advantage of diverse managed and unmanaged ecosystems. The varied habitats of KBS include forests, old fields, streams, wetlands, lakes, and agricultural lands. Located between Kalamazoo and Battle Creek, Michigan the 3,873 acre station includes W.K. Kellogg Bird Sanctuary, W.K. Kellogg Farm, KBS Academic and Research Facilities, W.K. Kellogg Conference Center and Manor House, and Lux Arbor Reserve.
World renowned for its contributions to ecological science and evolutionary biology, KBS is home to one of the National Science Foundation’s Long-Term Ecological Research (LTER), and is committed to science and ecology education, conservation of natural resources and sustainable agriculture research and demonstration.
The application link is at the bottom of the page. Please read all the application information carefully.
To be eligible, undergraduate students must be enrolled in college/university within the United States. For field trips preference is given to Freshmen, Sophomores and other students that have not had prior opportunity to engage in ecology research or field experience. Students from underrepresented minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
- A sincere interest in exploring a career in ecology without prior opportunity to engage in ecology research.
- The potential to contribute to the ecology program at their home institution or in their community and
- The capacity to support the mission of SEEDS.
- Academic promise-based college experience, application essay and resumé.
- Students from underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
The SEEDS Program will cover all the selected participants expenses for field trips including travel, lodging, and meals. This is a fully funded opportunity, students who are chosen to participate will work with SEEDS staff to arrange their travel itineraries, housing arrangements and dietary needs. SEEDS establishes an agenda with the host station and takes care of all the necessary arrangements for a great participant experience!
Field Trip Agenda
- Science Workshops and discussions
- Hands-on field experience – data collecting
- Cultural components to the location we visit.
- Career panel discussion with professionals and graduate students
- Student presentations
- Reflections on motivations and challenges students face in science
- Time for group daily journal entries which are then compiled into a single report
- Applicants contact and academic information.
- In a short (up to 400 word) essay: (1) describe the nature of research that you intend to pursue; (2) specify how this Field Trip experience would further your educational and career goals; (3) summarize your ecology experience thus far (activities, coursework, research or work experience, etc.); (4) explain how you will contribute to the mission of the SEEDS program during and after the Field Trip. Our mission statement is on the home page.
- Upload a Resume in PDF format
The image above will take you to the SEEDS Application Portal
Application deadline is February 17, 2023 at Midnight.
SEEDS National Field Trips are funded by the National Science Foundation