REEFS 2022 is Now Accepting Presenter Abstracts!
Resources for Ecology Education – Fair and Share (REEFS) is an annual workshop/special session held during ESA’s Annual Meeting. Since 2008, it has been organized jointly by ESA’s Office of Education and Diversity and the ESA Education Section.
The 14th REEFS Workshop will be held in person only at ESA’s Annual Meeting in Montreal, Canada.
Only those who anticipate being in person at the ESA Annual Meeting in Montreal, Canada should consider submitting a proposal. Please note: there will not be a virtual component to this year’s workshop. Visit ESA’s Annual Meeting Website to learn more about travel requirements for entering Canada.
Date: Tuesday, August 16th, 2022
Time: 11:45 AM – 1:15 PM
This Special Session provides faculty with an opportunity to exchange ideas on how to engage undergraduate students using student-active methods. Instructors at all levels of experience are encouraged to participate. We invite you to submit a resource to share in small groups. We strongly encourage your ideas – at ANY stage of development that aligns with ESA’s Four-Dimensional Ecology Education Framework.
There will be two round-robin sessions in small groups to discuss teaching challenges and strategies on lesson ideas led by peers. Presenters are encouraged to consider how their activities address two or more dimensions of the 4DEE framework. Participants will be invited to suggest further enhancements in relation to 4DEE and ways they might incorporate these activities into their own classrooms.
This year we are particularly interested in submissions that highlight inclusive and flexible learning activities that can successfully engage students in remote or hybrid teaching formats as well as in-person.
- Learn about what colleagues are doing to engage their undergraduate students using active learning methods.
- Improve undergraduate classroom activities using active learning methods via the exchange of constructive feedback
- Foster a network of support in advancing ecology education.
- Promote the ESA Four-Dimensional Ecology Education Framework (4DEE)
- Encourage digital publishing of teaching resources through ESA’s EcoEdDL and TIEE
- Promote the recommendations of the Vision and Change in Undergraduate Biology Education Call to Action.
Proposals are due June 5, 2022
For questions about the workshop, please contact:
David Bowne, Education Section Chair, ude.nwotenull@denwob.