ESA’s staff relies on student volunteers to help run our Annual Meeting each year. We greatly appreciate your interest in helping us at this year’s virtual Annual Meeting. We will select students (undergraduate or graduate level) to assist with tasks throughout the week. Volunteers who complete their assignments (about 10 hours of work) will receive a refund of their student Early Bird registration fee.
The student volunteer application process is different this year than it was in previous years. The application will open on May 3, and the first step will be to submit an application. Applications will be accepted on a first come first served basis, and applicants will only be accepted if they are also registered for the meeting. The application deadline is June 24, but it is in your best interest to both register for the meeting and apply to volunteer as soon as you can.
In order to be considered for a volunteer assignment at this meeting, by the June 24 Early Bird deadline, each applicant must:
- Be a student (Students that graduated in Winter 2020 or Spring 2021, as well as students starting in Fall 2021 are eligible).
- Register to attend the meeting at the student Early Bird rate (which includes paying the appropriate fee).
- Complete and submit the online student volunteer application, and start signing up for assignments when slots are available.
Applicants will be notified of their selection to volunteer and will be instructed to sign up for assignments starting in early June. After Late-breaking Poster scheduling notifications go out in early June, a link to signup for shifts will be sent to you if you are selected as a volunteer on a rolling basis. Student volunteers will work several shifts throughout the week to complete the 10 required service hours. Shifts are available every day from Monday, August 2 – Thursday, August 5. The assignment for this year’s virtual meeting is described here:
- Live session chat box monitor: You do not need any previous experience and we will provide training materials. You will be expected to monitor the chat box in live sessions, which includes “nudging” the presider or moderator if there are questions in the chat box that have not been answered, as well as performing other chat box-related tasks.
If you are selected
We will notify all applicants of their status on a rolling basis starting in early June, and by late June after the application deadline. Every selected student volunteer will sign up for their assignments. An online schedule reflecting all student volunteer assignments will be available during the conference.
In order to be eligible for a refund of the meeting registration fee, each volunteer must:
- Sign up for 10 hours of volunteer assignments.
- Attend each session on time and complete all volunteer assignments (10 hours).
Volunteers will be eligible for a refund of their meeting registration fee after completing all volunteer assignments. Volunteers will be reimbursed for the applicable Early Bird student fee, but not for any additional fees, such as Short Courses. Most refunds will be processed after the meeting, but no later than October 1, 2021.
Apply to be a Student Volunteer:
Student Volunteer Application
|May 3||Volunteer information and application available. Registration is also open.|
|May 20||Contributed presenters notified of abstract scheduling.|
|June 3||Late-breaking Poster presenters notified of abstract scheduling. Student volunteer applicants will start to be accepted and will be instructed to signup for shifts.|
|June 24||Deadline for Early Bird Registration AND volunteer application.|
|July 22||Deadline to sign up for 10 hours of assignments.|
Danielle Slatkin / Meetings Coordinator
Phone: (202) 833-8773 x216