COVID-19 Policy for LDC Attendees
Travel awards are now available to the 7th Life Discovery – Doing Science Education Conference for higher education faculty
To increase the diversity of participants and institutions, funds up to $1,000 are available to support educator travel and conference registration to the 2021 Life Discovery – Doing Science Education conference (LDC). These travel awards are made possible through support from the National Science Foundation.
Who should apply?
We encourage applications from educators who are from
- community colleges and minority-serving institutions (colleges and universities)
- communities underrepresented in the ecological sciences at any higher education institution.
All applicants must be affiliated with US institutions.
Applications due: July 15, 2021 for priority consideration (extended)
After this date, applications will be considered as funds are available.
Applicants who submit by the due date may expect to be notified by late July.
- A nationwide community of peers focused on inclusive pedagogy in environmental Biology classrooms.
- LDC offers keynotes, short presentations, workshops, and field trips at the leading edge of the life sciences focused on incorporating cultural relevance and current events into the classroom
- Unique to LDC: Facilitated networking opportunities and the Education Roundtable Share Fair
- All selected participants in higher education institutions will also receive priority consideration to take part in a follow-up Faculty Mentoring Network in Spring 2022 to implement ideas generated during the conference. See below.
- The award will cover early bird conference registration, hotel, flight/mileage up to about $1000 depending on whether a two or three-night stay is required. You will be asked how much support you require in the application.
- Conference Registration includes all meals from Thursday dinner through Saturday lunch (6 meals).
- All awardees are expected to submit a proposal to present a teaching idea at the Education Share Fair Roundtable session by September 1st. These may be ideas at any stage of development. This is an opportunity to receive constructive feedback from your peers in a friendly, professional, and informal atmosphere.
Priority consideration for this award will be given to:
- Faculty applicants who are teaching in fall 2021 and/or winter 2022 semesters.
- Applicants who will present a teaching idea that you have implemented or plan to teach at the LDC Education Share Fair
- Higher education institution applicants willing to participate in a follow-up Faculty Mentoring Network (FMN) to implement ideas developed during the conference in their classroom in Spring 2022.
About the Spring 2022 Faculty Mentoring Network
During the FMN, you will meet with a small group of 5-6 educators in bi-weekly Zoom meetings over 7 weeks as you implement ideas learned at the conference. Participants will be able to exchange ideas on effective implementation and receive additional resources or expertise as needed. The FMN will likely begin at the end of January 2022 through early May. For more information about past FMNs, please visit: https://www.esa.org/scalingup/fmn/
About the LDC Travel Awards and the application form, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org