Inclusive Events at ESA 2017
We are organizing, co-sponsoring, or endorsing several events at the upcoming ESA conference this August (2017) in Portland, OR:
- Joint Mixer and Informal Business Meeting – Meet and mingle with people from Inclusive Ecology, TEK, Urban Ecology, Black Ecologists, Education, Environmental Justice, and Human Ecology. Mon. 8/7, 6-8PM.
- Organized Oral Session – Biodiversity and human diversity for ecosystem health and sustainability in a world of change. Mon. 8/7, 1:30-5 PM.
- Special Session – Our living environment: Causes and strategies for alleviating impacts of environmental change on minority communities. Mon. 8/7, 8-10 PM. Cost: free.
- Brownbag Lunch – Gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered ecologist brownbag lunch. Tues. 8/8, 11:30-1:15 PM.
- Workshop – Linking biodiversity and ecosystem services in a changing world with the Paris Climate Agreement. Tues. 8/8, 11:30 AM-1:15 PM. Cost: free. (sponsored by Union of Concerned Scientists)
- Special Session – Enhancing diversity in ecology: Planning for strategic coordination among ESA sections. Tues. 8/8, 8-10 PM.
- Workshop – How to promote a healthy culture in your academic department. Tues. 8/8, 8-10 PM. Cost: free.
- Business Meeting (Formal), Inclusive Ecology – Discuss future plans for the Inclusive Ecology section over lunch. Wed. 8/9, 11:30-1:15 PM. Meet at table #321 in the Exposition Hall; we’ll walk to a local restaurant for lunch at 11:45 AM.
- Special Session – Integrating Ecology into Faith Community Education: How Ecologists Can Engage a New Initiative to Shape Ecological Literacy and Environmental Justice. Wed. 8/9, 8-10 PM. Cost: free.
- Field Trip – A crosstown walk on north Williams Street: Socioeconomic gradients, gentrification, and environment. Thurs. 8/10, 8-11:30AM. Cost: $25. (Sponsored by Environmental Justice, registration required)
- Workshop – Inclusive communication: Improving conversations through consideration and empathy. Thurs. 8/10, 11:30 AM-1:15 PM. Cost: free.
We are also sponsoring:
- Expression board
- Gender-neutral restrooms
And, check out our awesome table (booth #321) and t-shirt sale in the main exposition hall: 11:30 AM-1:15 PM, and 5-6:30 PM Mon. (8/7) thru Thurs.(8/10).
On Twitter? Use hashtag #InclusiveEcology