ESA COVID-19 Update
ESA is temporarily using a telecommuting model for its daily business operations in the Washington, DC, metro area to be proactive in mitigating the spread of COVID-19. We expect no difference in our business operations, but please email us or call us if needed. ESA is evaluating whether to hold meetings and events on a case-by-case basis and we encourage you to communicate with your ESA staff contact for questions.
ESA continues to explore ways to support our members and everyone in the scientific community during these uncertain times. We are concerned about the impact that the spread of this disease will personally have on members of the ecologic and the greater scientific community. We hope you remain safe and that daily operations return to normal as soon as possible.
The Ecology of Infectious Diseases
ESA is offering a free online collection of disease-ecology research, with scientists available for expert comment. This virtual collection and the accompanying list of ESA members who have expertise in disease dynamics are just part of the contributions that ESA makes to understanding the spread of COVID-19 and the emergence of zoonotic disease.
Ecology and COVID-19
How is COVID-19 affecting your science and work? What are the broader implications for the science, and society? ESA launched this blog series in April to invite the perspective of guest writers who are confronting unique questions during this pandemic. If you’re interested in submitting a piece, read these instructions and tips to submit.
- Can Technology Fill the Coronavirus Data Gap?
- Evolutionary Biology and Questions Regarding the Coronavirus
- To Go or Not to Go (in the Field)?
ESA is facilitating scientist-to-scientist sharing by collecting offers of assistance and resources in this form to share with those affected on an Ecotone virtual bulletin board. Read more about what you can share.
*Check back frequently to see an updated list of offers*
Sustaining Ecology and Student Support
In response to the mounting pressure for faculty to switch to online teaching within a very short time, we have compiled some resources that have come to our attention. This is not an exhaustive list but is an attempt to help point you in the right direction.
We continue to develop online-only content for ESA members to connect with each other, develop their skills, and discover new approaches to their work. Join a webinar or water cooler chat to stay engaged!
- Invasive Species Policy and COVID-19
May 21, 2020
- Bringing Ecology Home
May 29, 2020
- Collaborating with Interpreters to Communicate Science in National Parks
June 4, 2020
- Ecopharmacovigilance and Ecological Restoration
June 5, 2020
- Teaching Science Communication
June 12, 2020
We are closely monitoring the developing COVID-19 situation regarding these events. Please continue to visit this page for updates as to their status and changes to any upcoming events. ESA is fully committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for all event participants.
- Katherine McCarter Graduate Student Policy Award, March 24-25, 2020 POSTPONED
- Workshop: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Socio-Environmental Synthesis Research A SESYNC-ESA Workshop, March 24-27, 2020 POSTPONED
- Critical Skills to Scale Up Ecology: An ESA SEEDS and NEON Workshop, June 1-5, 2020 POSTPONED
- Strategies for Success SBI Course, June 9-11, 2020 POSTPONED
These upcoming events are being planned on the presumption that they will be held with no changes to their operating status; should changes occur, they will be added to the above list and updated to reflect those changes.
- Board of Professional Certification Business Meeting, June 4, 2020 (virtual)
- ESA Annual Meeting, August 3-6, 2020
ESA will be holding a totally virtual Annual Meeting this year from August 3–6 in response to the pandemic. The virtual meeting will provide an opportunity for you to join colleagues and leaders from across the field for four days of inspiration and community focused on your research and your career as each of us looks ahead to the future. Read these FAQ to learn more.
- Creating a Successful Business Plan SBI Course, October 6-8, 2020 (virtual)
- ESA Mid-Atlantic Chapter Annual Meeting, October 16-18, 2020 (postponed from April 3-5)
- Life Discovery Conference, October 22-24, 2020