Outstanding Publication Award
– Only current members of the ESA Early Career Ecologists Section can apply (see here to check whether you are a current member). Section membership is $5 for ESA members.
– Must hold a terminal degree (MS or PhD) awarded after May 1, 2013. Exceptions on the graduation time limit will be made on a case-by-case basis (e.g., maternity/paternity leave, sick leave, etc.). Requests for an exception should be explained in the cover letter of the application (see below).
– The paper must have been published in a peer-reviewed journal after June 1, 2016 or be in press by June 1, 2020.
– Members of groups underrepresented in science are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed by an awards committee consisting of the officers of the ESA-ECE Section and top candidates will be passed on to a select group of academic and professional early career ecologists. Identifying information will be removed from the papers during the review process. The award honors early career ecologists that publish papers of high significance to the scientific community. The applications are evaluated on the following three criteria:
– Broader impact: The manuscript is clear in its relevance to real world environmental problems or issues.
– Time since receiving your terminal degree will be considered when assessing the impact, scope, and scale of the nominated publication.
The application package should consist of the following 2 items, which are due by 5 pm EST on June 26th, 2020:
– A 150-word description of the main point(s) of the paper and their importance for ecology at large.
– Type of terminal degree and the date it was awarded (e.g.: PhD, 21-SEPT-2018)
– If appropriate, any extenuating circumstances for inclusion into the competition by a candidate with a terminal degree awarded prior to May 1, 2013.