In addition to the C&E Section, there are numerous official groups within ESA who actively work on community engagement and/or support ESA members’ building their capacity to do community engagement well.
- Sections: Black Ecologists, Communication & Engagement (that’s us!), Environmental Justice, Human Ecology, Inclusive Ecology, Latin American Chapter, Policy, Traditional Ecological Knowledge, and numerous discipline-specific sections.
- Human Dimensions Collaborative (est. 2019)
- Engagement at Annual Meetings Subcommittee (Chair, Sarah Anderson); part of Meetings Committee
- ESA Committee on Diversity & Education
- ESA Public Affairs Office and Committee. For a history of an aspect of this work, see Nadine Lymn’s “ESA ‘s Evolution in Public Policy and Media Outreach from 1993 to 2013.”
There have also been a range of one-off community engagement efforts at annual meetings over the years. We’ve listed a few on-going or particularly impactful efforts that can serve as discussion points. They are not the only possibilities, nor are they the explicit way that members are expected to do community engagement at annual meetings, but hopefully they can inspire and inform such efforts in the future.
- Cross-Town Walk
- Earth Stewardship Initiative
- Engage ESA project led by Melissa Kenny and Frank Davis (2018)
- Registration scholarships for non-members