#ESA2021 has Gone Virtual
Whether online or in-person, we are committed to centering inclusion and underrepresented voices in the programming the C&E Section contributes to at the annual meeting and always. Please contact us directly (or anonymously through our website contact form) if you have anything you’d like us to consider.
C&E Science Communication Awards!
We are accepting nominations for our 2nd annual Science Communication in Practice Award and Best Poster Award! Both will be awarded at the time of the 2021 Annual Meeting. Please see this link for details and to nominate yourself or others.
EVENTS AT ESA 2021
Communication & Engagement. Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion. Careers.
If you have a SciComm or Engagement poster/event/talk/session not mentioned here or have an update, please let us know and we can amplify it here, in our monthly newsletter, and on Twitter. We’d love to spread the word about your session!
* = indicates sessions being led, offered in collaboration with, or featuring C&E Section members and/or officers. If we should add/remove an *, please let us know!
*Communication & Engagement Section “Booth”:
- Connect with C&E officers and volunteers;
- #SketchYourScience – connect with the 2021 event here once we have it set up!
- Learn more about the C&E Section and pick up our new fabulous postcards;
- Sign up to volunteer
- *Workshop 1: Reciprocity of Indigenous Knowledge in Ecology Education: Towards a More Inclusive Ecology (Newman et al). Monday, August 2nd, 2021. 12:00 PM – 1:30 PM PT
- *Workshop 6: Building Alliances with Climate Activists to Support Climate Action and Ecological Knowledge (Rupert-Nason et al). Tuesday, August 3rd, 2021. 12:00 PM – 1:30 PM PT
- *Workshop 9: Telling Stories, Sharing Knowledge, and Seeing the Nature of Things: Teaching Scientific Communication in Ecology Courses (Newman et al). Tuesday, August 3rd, 2021. 3:30 PM – 5:00 PM PT
- *OOS 27: Equity-Focused, Evidence-Based Approaches to Teaching and Assessing SciComm in Higher Education (Merkle et al). Wednesday, August 4, 2021. 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Workshop 11: How Scientists Can Help Restore Scientific Integrity and Advocate for Science-Based Policy (Wilson et al). Wednesday, August 4th, 2021.12:00 PM – 1:30 PM PT
- Workshop 12: Communicating Your Science with the Media (Swanson). Wednesday, August 4th, 2021.3:30 PM – 5:00 PM PT
- *Alt-Ac Careers: Non-Tenure-Track Ecologist Panel (Miller and Merkle). Details coming soon.
Note: For the 2020 annual meeting, ESA developed a Broadening Impacts Sessions webpage that highlighted events and sessions in following categories: Communication & Engagement, Diversity & Inclusion, Education, Career Development, and Policy. If they provide this website again, we will update this page with live links.