Resources: Science journalism
*This list is dynamic, and in-development. Feel free to make suggestions (use the comments section or contact us directly) re additional resources and great examples that should be included.
INTERACTING WITH THE MEDIA
- Tips for dealing with reporters
- Tips for PR (public relations) writing
- Writing a Press Release: Death by Six-Shooter
- Peter Campbell, Public Information Officer – What does that Pete Campbell (of Mad Men infamy) have to do with telling the world about your science?
- How to report from a science conference
DATA & NUMBERS
- Online course in data journalism (5-part series) from the Knight Lab
- Size comparisons in science writing: Bigger than a breadbox; Small Stuff; Impossibly Vast
- How to describe obscure technical measurements
- Writing with Numbers
- www.statisticbrain.com – produces data analyses used by New York Times, Wikipedia, Oxford University Press and more
- Journalist’s Toolbox (Society of Professional Journalists)
- Ethics & guidelines