Professional Ethics and Appeals Committee
The Professional Ethics & Appeals Committee works to advance the Society’s mission and goals by maintaining and enforcing ethical standards for ecologists. The Committee is responsible for reviewing ethical issues of concern to members of ESA and keeping the members informed about these issues. The Professional Ethics and Appeals Committee is responsible for:
- Proposing to the Governing Board modifications of the Code of Ethics and Code of Conduct for Events, as needed
- Recommending Governing Board action to enforce the Code of Ethics and the Code of Conduct for Events, including:
- Advising the President and Governing Board when informed of ethical or other misconduct by a member of ESA
- If so directed by the Governing Board, carrying out investigations of ethical misconduct
- If appropriate, proposing sanctions to the Governing Board
- Considering appeals by individuals who are denied membership or certification and forwarding recommendations to the Governing Board.
At least one member must be a Certified Senior Ecologist.
- M. Dale Strickland, Chair (2019- 2022)
- Patricia Flebbe (2004 – 2021)
- George Middendorf (2014 – 2021)
- Naupaka Zimmerman (2020 – 2023)
- Emily Therese Cloyd (2019 – 2022)