ESA Awards Program Updates for 2021
To streamline the Society’s awards program and improve the diversity of award winners, the Awards Committee is taking the following steps beginning with the call for nominations in 2020 for 2021 awardees.
- An Awards Nomination Committee will be formed to drive nominations for awards to help gain a greater, more diverse nominee pool. This committee is independent of all the award subcommittees. The Awards Chair will server as an ex-officio members.
- The Sustainability Science and Innovation in Sustainability in Science awards will be merge into one award. This was previously the case before 2015. Additional $700 in travel support to attend the ESA Annual Meeting will now be given to the 1st author.
- The Honorary Member Award and the Whittaker Distinguish Ecologist Award will be merged and renamed the Robert H. Whittaker Distinguished Ecologist Award. The winner will receive a plaque and up to $1400 in travel support to the meeting. This award will be given every other year and will be open for the 2021 awards nomination cycle.
- The Commitment to Human Diversity Award will now provide travel support of $700 to attend the ESA Annual Meeting.
- The Whittaker Travel Award will be renamed the International Ecology Award. The new name reflects honoring contributions to the field for deserving early or mid-career ecologist from the developing world. The winner will receive a plaque and up to $1400 in travel support to attend the meeting. This award will be given every other year and will open for the 2022 nomination cycle.