- About Us
- Discussion Board
- Job Resources
- Conference Resources
- ESA Resources
- Create content
- Recent posts
The primary purpose of this position is to function as the manager of day to day operations of a biogeochemistry and coastal ecology laboratory. Grant funded. This is a one year position which may be extended if sufficient grant funding is available.
Description (% time allocation in parentheses):
• Develop and maintain standard operating procedures for activities within the lab (including database entry and management; data quality assurance/quality control (QA/QC)). Specifically this will include running the following instruments: a membrane inlet mass spectrometer for dissolved gas analysis; a gas chromatograph for greenhouse gas analysis; and automatic nutrient analyzer for the measurement of dissolved inorganic and organic nutrients in both fresh and marine waters. (25%)
• Ensure that laboratory supplies are ordered and stocked and that all laboratory equipment is maintained and functioning. (25%)
• Help plan and execute field observations and laboratory experiments; participate as needed in field sampling; complete laboratory sample analysis. (25%)
• Ensure that laboratory personnel are properly trained and they will supervise junior laboratory personnel. (18%)
• Participate in grant writing. (5%)
• Present results in meetings and through publications. (2%)
Qualifications (Minimum education & experience level required):
• Bachelors required; MS desired in Chemistry, Oceanography, Ecology or a related degree.
• Minimum 1 year post graduate experience required.
Skill requirements (include complexity of position):
• Experience with field and laboratory measurements of the biological and/or chemical properties of seawater is required.
• Experience with mass spectrometry and/or gas chromatography required.
• Basic computer and statistical skills required.
• Field experience (including small boat operation, diving) desired.
Interpersonal skills (include personal interaction):
• Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
• Strong interpersonal skills required.
• Publication and experience grant writing desired.
Working Conditions or Additional requirements (include special requirements, e.g., lifting, travel, overtime): Valid driver’s license, ability and willingness to make overnight travel, ability to participate in field sampling.