SEEDS » Component Programs » Chapters » Chapter Directory » Norfolk State University
Norfolk State University >> Norfolk, Virginia
The addition of SEEDS within the CMEB will provide strength for enhanced education and research programs in the ecological sciences and will add to the reputable stature of our ecology interest at a HBCU. CMEB faculty will teach students to appreciate life and its beauty as well as understand more about themselves as global citizens. CMEB faculty will help students to foster the potential as effective agents of change to the campus and become contributors to the global economy by participating in outreach and community service in the Hampton Roads Area and the state of Virginia and eventually the world. Our graduates will have an increased awareness and understanding of their interdependencies with the environment, as well as success in health or science-related careers, and they will develop a lifetime attitude toward learning.
We are thrilled to announce the SEEDS Chapter at Norfolk State University as one of our newest additions to SEEDS!
Plans for 2008-2009
- October - Participate in the Homecoming as part of the Biology Department’s float. Our area of interest will be “Charting Our Carbon Balance Sheet” and Ozone Monitoring
- November – Campus Clean-up; Student apply for summer internships
- December – Conduct a research project on attitudes and recycling. Start 5 month’s Recycling campaign
- January – MLK Day Participation in the Walk for Peace and Justice
- February – “Maxwell Bempong CMEB Lecture “Bio-fuels and alternative Energy”
- March - Participate in the 66th Annual Beta Kappa Chi/National Institute of Science Meeting.
- April - “Earth Day and the Conclusion of the Recycling Campaign”
- May - July – Summer Internships (Intramural and Extramural Opportunities); Environmental Camp for High School students/teachers.
- August – Attend ESA Annual Meeting (1 student and the an Advisor)
- September – CMEB Research Expo “Open House and new membership drive for SEEDS”; Prepare an application for Study Abroad with an emphasis in Ecological studies.
Activities of 2007-2008
- New chapter as of 2008
- Camellia Okpodu
- Malikah Abdullah