The Science Office provides staff support for the ESA Panel on Vegetation Classification. The Panel provides impartial scientific expertise to public, professional, and private partners in support of the development and use of the National Vegetation Classification Standard, a scientifically credible national vegetation classification system, adopted in 2008 as a federal standard by the Federal Geographic Data Committee.
The Panel's goals are to:
- Advance the application of the National Vegetation Classification Standard;
- Advance quality assurance of the data in the national vegetation classification;
- Support the application of the national vegetation classification to management and conservation objectives;
- Foster and coordinate research in vegetation classification; and
- Promote understanding of North American vegetation classification information and its importance to the national and international community.