Corporate Award > Policies
The Corporate Award is given to recognize a corporation, business, division, program, or an individual of a company for accomplishments in incorporating sound ecological concepts, knowledge, and practices into planning and operating procedures.
The award has six categories, with a different category in each year of the 6-year cycle. The categories, in order of presentation, are (1) Environmental Education, (2) Stewardship of Land Resources, (3) Resource Recovery and Recycling, (4) Amelioration of risks from hazardous and toxic substances, (5) Sustainability of biological resources in terrestrial environments, (6) Sustainability of biological resources in aquatic environments
The objective of the ESA's Corporate Award is to identify and recognize either an individual of a company or an entire corporation, business, division, or program for accomplishments in incorporating sound ecological concepts, knowledge, and practices in planning and operating procedures. This award was designed to encourage use of ecological concepts in business and private industry and to enhance communication among ecologists in the private sector.
Criteria for ranking nominations and selecting the award winner will emphasize planning, distinctiveness, depth, and historical record of the use or application of ecological constraints and opportunities encountered by each corporation, division, or unit being considered. Thus, associated criteria may include the following, as applicable to the unit being considered:
- Extent of commitment to advance planning utilizing ecological principles.
- Distinction in innovation for the application of ecological principles, given the level of restrictive conventions or other restraints.
- Breadth of application of ecological principles throughout the operations of the nominee and its impact on related industries.
- Historical record of application of ecological principles in unit operations.
Nominations for this award may be made by industrial representatives, government officials, the general public, ESA members, or by members of the ESA Corporate Award Subcommittee. Corporate Award Subcommittee members may not nominate those corporations, businesses, or programs with which they are directly affiliated. Co-nominations by an ESA member are encouraged. The person(s) who make the nomination should have direct knowledge of the person, project, or activity and should be able to characterize fully and support any claims. Each nomination should include the general background and descriptive information listed below. This information will be evaluated by the ESA Corporate Award Subcommittee, which will select as many as five persons, projects, or activities as candidates for this award. The committee will then invite the nominees to submit additional information and corroborative documentation. The subcommittee may solicit additional information as deemed appropriate to evaluate the nominees and select the award recipient. To nominate a person, project, or activity for the ESA Corporate Award, submit the following information:
- Your name, address, phone number, and affiliation.
- Name of the person, division or department of a company, or company that sponsored the project or activity.
- Description of the project or activity.
- A statement of environmentally beneficial results derived from the project at the company, local, state, regional, national, or international level.
- A statement describing the influence this project has had on other activities of the company.
- A statement describing the extent of the project/activity implementation at the local and/or international level.