ESA meetings, open to ESA members and those interested in ecology, are among the most respected meetings of ecologist in the science community. ESA is committed to providing a safe, productive and welcoming environment for all meeting participants and ESA staff. All participants including, but not limited to, attendees, speakers, volunteers, exhibitors, ESA staff, service providers and others are expected to abide by this ESA Meetings Code of Conduct. This Code of Conduct applies to all ESA meeting-related events including those sponsored by organizations other than ESA but held in conjunction with ESA events, in public or private facilities.
In addition, ESA members and authors of ESA publications must adhere to the ESA Scientific Integrity and Professional Ethics Policy.
- All participants, attendees, ESA staff, and vendors are treated with respect and consideration, valuing a diversity of views and opinions.
- Be considerate, respectful, and collaborative.
- Communicate openly with respect for others, critiquing ideas rather than individuals.
- Avoid personal attacks directed toward other attendees, participants, ESA staff and suppliers/vendors.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert ESA staff if you notice a dangerous situation or someone in distress.
- Respect the rules and policies of the meeting venue, hotels, ESA contracted facility, or any other venue.
- Harassment, intimidation or discrimination in any form will not be tolerated.
- Physical or verbal abuse of any attendee, speaker, volunteer, exhibitor, ESA staff member, service provider or other meeting guest.
- Examples of unacceptable behavior include, but are not limited to, verbal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, national origin, inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images in public spaces or in presentations, threatening or stalking any attendee, speaker, volunteer, exhibitor, ESA staff member, service provider or other meeting guest.
- Recording or taking photography of another individual’s presentation without the explicit permission of ESA is not allowed.
- Disruption of talks at oral or poster sessions, in the exhibit hall or at other events organized by ESA at the meeting venue, hotels, or other ESA contracted facilities.
- Anyone requested to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
- ESA staff (or their designee) or security may take any action deemed necessary and appropriate, including immediate removal from the meeting without warning or refund.
- ESA reserves the right to prohibit attendance at any future meeting.
- Other consequences as set forth in the ESA Code of Ethics, as applicable.
Reporting Unacceptable Behavior
If you are the subject of unacceptable behavior or have witnessed any such behavior, please immediately notify an ESA staff member.
- Anyone experiencing or witnessing behavior that constitutes an immediate or serious threat to public safety at our annual meeting in the convention center is advised to locate a house phone and ask for security.