Marine Conservation Project Coordinators
Specialist Marine Conservation Training with the Zoox Experience Programme
Opportunity location: Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand
Job Role: Zoox is looking for passionate and hard-working individuals to support the high-impact conservation initiative, Green Fins. Conceived by the UNEP in 2004, Green Fins works to unite divers, governments and conservationists for the protection of coral reefs. It manages diving industry impacts on the reefs through implementing environmental standards, consultation and conducting environmental training for all staff, allowing them to reduce direct impacts on the reef, and using environmental knowledge to educate and raise awareness with guest divers.
Zoox provides training for Green Fins project coordinators through the Zoox Experience Programme, which is perfect for those wanting to explore routes into the Conservation sector.
We have upcoming placements in:
Nha Trang, Vietnam – 29 Sept – 30 Nov 2014
Malapascua, Philippines – 29 Sept – 30 Nov 2014
Koh Kood, Thailand – 5 Jan – 8 Mar 2015
Moalboal, Philippines – 5 Jan – 8 Mar 2015
Training – The first two to three weeks of the placement involves intensive training in Puerto Galera, Philippines. The Zoox Modules are designed not only to give you a solid foundation on the marine conservation industry, but also all the information and tools you need to coordinate the Green Fins initiative in the country of their placement.
Experience – Each placement is unique as we work closely with you to identify your strengths and interests, which then shape the programme providing you with a personal assignment alongside your main volunteering role.
Therefore the ZEP involves a wide variety of work but could include:
• Giving educational presentations about marine ecology, local laws and general marine conservation to people within the diving industry, local communities and the Philippine government
• Conducting environmental assessments of dive centres (which will involve LOTS of diving) and consultation sessions with dive centres owners and managers.
• Coordinating environmental activities such as beach and reef clean-ups and reef monitoring.
• Managing and arranging meetings with various departments of the Government.
• Conducting and training for monitoring marine habitat health
In addition you will gain the chance to gain skills and knowledge in:
• Project and Financial Management
• Project Planning and Monitoring
• International Development
• Diving and Snorkelling Skills
• Report Writing
• Understanding of International Environmental Policy Processes
• Database Management
• Understanding of Global Marine Conservation Funding
• Training Skills
• Presenting to Diverse Audiences in a Variety of Locations
• Developing Interpersonal Communication Skills
• Knowledge of Conservation in Developing Nations Political Systems
• Travel and Personal Security
The cost of the programme is GBP £1,600. Included here is:
• All training including our unique Zoox modules
• Close co-ordination and support, private mentoring and coaching from Zoox staff throughout the 9-week placement
• Shared, clean and comfortable self-catering accommodation for one month
• Personal Professional Development Feedback session
• Diving Skills refresher dives (all diving associated with the project work is free)
• Travel costs during training and basic travel allowance associated with the project
• Access to extensive online library of learning resources
• Access to jobs not always advertised publicly
• Alumni Newsletters
• Zoox shirt and project shirt, tough beach bag, unique splash-proof document wallet
The volunteer is expected to cover all additional costs including:
• Flights Insurance
• Personal costs (please see our website (www.zoox.org.uk) for an estimated break down of costs).
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter explaining why you would like to join the programme to firstname.lastname@example.org.