In the video below, Nalini Nadkarni talks about her work speaking to faith communities about ecological issues:
The following resources have been useful for ESA members in their outreach to faith communities.
- “Ecological outreach to faith-based communities” by Nalini Nadkarni from ESA’s Frontiers journal; “Not preaching to the choir…” from Conservation Biology.
- Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life – US Religious Landscape Survey. View page 12 for specifics on “Religious Composition of the U.S.”
- Biodiversity Project’s “Building Partnerships with the Faith Community” document. “Tips for Outreach” (p. 87-93)
- Links to climate change statements of world religions, compiled by the Yale Forum on Religion and Ecology; Links to environmental statements and activities of US faith communities, compiled by the National Religious Partnership for the Environment – view by denomination or by issue.
- The National Association of Evangelicals – Loving the Least of These: Addressing a Changing Environment; Dorothy Boorse, lead author.
- Climate Change Education for Faith Based Groups by Greg Hitzhusen, National Research Council white paper.
Other related projects and opportunities:
- Earth Day 2014 (planning events, pre-education events, Earth week events)
- Thanksgiving (food, sufficiency, justice themes; UU Ethical Eating; IPL Cool Harvest; Jewish themes; Hazon Food Conference; Faith in Place Zabeeha meat, Dec 6-9, 2012)
- Local Judicatory/community and congregation: committees (e.g., SOS; DSO; Cinci Archdiocese)
- National Denominational Programs and Resources: PresbyEcoStewardsMGregory (powerpoint about Presbyterian EcoStewards program)
- General Resources: FORE; IPL; NRPE.
- Jewish:Tu B’ Shevat 2013 (New Year of Trees, Jan. 25-26), Shmittah starting in 2014 (see http://coejl.org/jecc/declaration/), High Holidays (ideas here)
- Christian: $100 Holiday/adventconspiracy.org (clean water and reducing consumer waste), Lenten Carbon Fast (TearFund,Ecumenical)
- Muslim: Green Ramadan (and other ideas)
- Buddhist: Green Sangha (awakened action)
Denomination-specific resources (key resources recommended by national staff of the following faith communities as indicative of their community’s views) :
- Presbyterian Church (PCUSA): PCUSA Policy Brief (summarizes the environmental policies of the denomination); PCUSA Denominational Statements (lists all of the past environmental policy statements of the denomination).
- United Church of Christ (UCC): several recent environmental resolutions of the denomination will be posted soon.