The Ecology and Education Summit will feature two keynote speakers, Will Steger and Will Allen, five panel discussions,two breakout sessions and an evening reception on Oct 14 with a poster session and interactive displays and exhibits.
A series of pre-Summit events organized by partner organizations will help bring discussion at the Summit to a deeper level. Check back here regularly for updates in September.
Thursday October 14
7:30 am Onsite Registration Opens
8:00 am - 6:00 pm Panels and Breakouts
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm Reception with Poster Session and Interactive
Displays and Exhibits
Friday October 15
8:00 am - 2:00 pm (through lunch)
Panels and Breakouts
2:00 pm - 2:45 pm Extended Roundtable Conversations
Panel and Breakout Sessions will be organized around the following themes:
Learning about Complexity and Change:
New Foundations for Environmental Literacy
- What are the major ecological and environmental issues that the next generation needs to be prepared for?
- What are the pivotal ideas for an inclusive and integrative environmental literacy framework in a changing world?
- What new paradigm for stewardship is appropriate for secular and faith-based education?
- How can environmental literacy serve the workforce needs of the nation in the next decade?
Turning the Tide:
Building a Green Society through Learning and Doing
- What opportunities exist through the media and youth culture to catalyze a transition to a green society?
- How can we make the links between human health and the environment more transparent?
- In what ways might ‘green’ communities, schools, campuses and cafeterias provide an avenue for environmental learning?
- How can we expand learning in the outdoors?
- How can environmental literacy both serve and reflect the full human diversity of our nation?
Seeing our World Inside and Out: Harnessing New Technologies for Environmental Literacy
- What is the role of technology in ecology and environmental education?
- How do we harness the power of online technologies such as simulations, visualization tools and data models for education?
- How can we continue to foster outdoor and field-based experience in a digital era?
- How can we take advantage of mobile technologies to increase citizen participation in environmental decision-making?
Fostering Lifelong Learning Skills:
Empowering Best Practices in Effective Teaching and Learning
- What are the most effective professional learning communities?
- How can service learning bring innovation to curriculum development?
- How do we work within an environment of high stakes testing?
- How can ecological and environmental literacy build on reforms in the K-12 system and advance undergraduate education toward a green society?
Expanding Funding, Strengthening Public Policy
- How do we navigate in the current political process and climate to increase resources for environmental literacy?
- How can we accelerate opportunities to build new and diverse pathways/pipelines for green careers?
- What will be required to facilitate coordination of policy and strategies at multiple scales: local, state and national?
- What mechanisms are needed to facilitate greater integration of disciplines, sectors and program focus?
Environmental Literacy for All
- Where are the gaps in environmental education programs and services across the spectrum of formal and informal education for K-20+?
- What avenues should be developed to effectively engage an increasingly diverse and urban generation for future-oriented ecological thinking, planetary stewardship and participation in a green economy?