ESA Job Board » View Position
Environmental Sciences Department Chair
Brookhaven National Laboratory
A Chairperson for the Environmental Sciences Department at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is sought to lead the continued development of internationally competitive programs in climate, environmental science and technology. The Department consists of a diverse group of 58 scientists, engineers, professionals, and technicians with a yearly operating budget of approximately $18M (www.bnl.gov/envsci). The successful candidate will be committed to foster work in cross-disciplinary teams on scientific challenges appropriately addressed in a national laboratory setting. It is preferred that they maintain their own active research program in an area associated with those within the Environmental Sciences Department. They will be expected to:
- Provide intellectual and managerial leadership for the staff in the Environmental Sciences Department. Work with the staff to recruit, mentor and develop staff members, and to maintain an interactive environment supportive of creative scientific research.
- Develop a scientific vision for the Department appropriate for a leading national laboratory, and actively participate in accomplishing this vision. The goal is to develop premier atmospheric (e.g., aerosol and cloud), environmental, and terrestrial ecosystem science research programs consistent with the missions of the Department of Energy (DOE). This should involve building a strategic business plan that leverages the unique multi-disciplinary capabilities and facilities at BNL, and builds upon current BNL environmental science and technology capabilities to address new challenges.
- Build strategic partnerships inside and outside BNL that significantly enhance the responsiveness, competitiveness, productivity and impact of the department R&D efforts, resulting in a sustainable growth in the level and scope of department funding.
Qualified candidates are required to have:
- A doctorate degree in atmospheric, environmental or ecological sciences, or related disciplines;
- A recognized record of scientific accomplishment in a research and development effort related to one or more of the following areas: terrestrial ecosystem science, aerosol and cloud properties and their effects on climate, and/or climate model development particularly involving the improved representation of atmospheric and/or carbon cycle processes that are relevant to DOE missions in Energy and Environment;
- Proven capabilities in scientific and managerial leadership with management, communication, and decision-making skills;
- Familiarity with one or more of the following DOE programs: the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) program, the Atmospheric System Research (ASR) program, the Climate Modeling Program, and/or the Terrestrial Ecosystem Science Program.
Demonstrated knowledge of and/or experience working with other federal and non-federal agencies that support environmental science and technology R&D is highly desirable.
The potential for a joint appointment with Stony Brook University can be explored for interested candidates.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- On site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, apply online at www.bnl.gov and click Jobs, then click Search Job List and apply to job #16167, listed under Management.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply prior to 10 September 2012.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce.