Asian Ecology Section of the Ecological Society of America
Volume 8, No. 2
Qinfeng Guo, Chair
(United States Geological Survey,
Binhe (Ben) Gu, the Secretary
(South Florida Water Management District, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Shili Miao, Past Chair
Florida Water Management District, email@example.com)
General Editor: Binhe (Ben) Gu
- The following AES members are planning to attend the EcoSummit in Beijing, 2007 and some of them have been assigned to assist the ESA booth during May 24-26: Alan P. Covich, Quan Dong, Erle C. Ellis, Ben Gu, Qinfeng Guo, Brigitte W. Hogan, Changhui Peng, Jianguo (Jingle) Wu.
- AES members have organized three symposia for the 2007 Eco Summit Beijing, chaired by Jiquan Chen, Qinfeng Guo and Ben Gu, respectively.
- Several AES members (Ben Gu, Quan Dong, Qinfeng Guo, Harbin Li, Jianguo Wu, Mei-Yin Wu, Weixing Zhu) are invited to give presentations in Huhhot, Inner Mongolia during the 4th International Symposium on Modern Ecology (ISOME)
- AES past Chair, Shili Miao and the Inst. of Bot. Chinese Academy of Sci. co-organized "Editorial and Publishing Workshop in Ecology and Environmental Sciences, Beijing" (May 28-30, 2007) is moving ahead smoothly. Invited instructors are Sue Silver - Editor-in-Chief of Frontiers in Ecology, Richard Primack - Editor of the journal Biological Conservation, and Philippa Benson - Director of Publishing and Information Resources of several organizations such as The Wildlife Society).
- AES has proposed to be a sponsor of the SCB (Society of Conservation Biology) annual meeting in Beijing, 2009. You may contact Linda Olsvig-Whittaker (email:firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information.
- New Book entitled “Landscape Ecological Applications in Man-influenced Areas: Linking Man and Nature Systems (Editors: Sun-kee Hong, Nobukazu Nakagoshi, Bojie Fu, Yukihiro Morimoto) has recently been published by Springer-Verlag (2007/02)
- Professor Bai-Lian Larry Li is elected AAAS Fellow by the AAAS Council on October 27, 2006, and received the award on February 17, 2007 during the AAAS Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA. Larry is being honored for "his contributions to the founding of the field of ecological complexity and modeling and for his work on theoretical ecology." He is the only theoretical ecologist being elected this year.
- It is time again to elect new AES secretory, please send your nominations to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com, before May 31.
Subscribe AES ESA
The current AES committee would like to welcome several new members who have just jointed us in 2007 and invite other ESA members who have interests, involve, and/or conduct research in Asia to subscribe AES when you renew your 2007 ESA membership. Currently we have 88 members from Asia, Europe and North America.